Two earthquakes of magnitude 7.8 and 7.7 occurred on February 6 in southeastern Turkey and neighboring Syria. Author: taken from internet
This Sunday, Turkey decided to stop prospecting 14 days after the February 6 earthquake, with the exception of the two most affected provinces, the Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) said.
Search and rescue operations in the earthquake zone have been completed, with the exception of the southern provinces of Kahramanmaras (where the epicenter of the first earthquake was located) and Hatay, AFAD head Yunus Sezer told reporters.
Sezer noted that more than 20,000 people continue to work on the ground, adding that search and rescue work is ongoing in nearly 40 buildings.
About 250,000 tents and more than 6,000 containers were set up in the earthquake zone.
For more than 24 hours, no survivors have been found in the ruins.
On Saturday, 296 hours after the earthquake, a couple was rescued in Antakya, the provincial capital of Hatay.
Noting that evacuations from the earthquake area to other provinces are ongoing, Sezer said, “More than 460,900 people have been evacuated so far.”
Two earthquakes measuring 7.8 and 7.7 hit on February 6 in southeastern Turkey and neighboring Syria, leaving more than 45,000 people dead and more than a million homeless, with economic damage expected to reach thousands of millions dollars.
“We are facing perhaps the biggest disaster we have ever faced in history. The damage from earthquakes and aftershocks, of which there were more than 5,700, was not limited to only 11 affected provinces,” Cesar said.
More than 5,800 deaths have been recorded in Syria, most in the northwest. The figure has not changed for several days.
Source: Juventud Rebelde