Clashes between army and militias continue in Sudan

Khartoum, Sudan, inApril 17.— The Sudanese Army announced this Monday that it has retaken control of the headquarters of the state radio and television corporation after the television signal was cut off this Sunday afternoon due to a siege by the Rapid Support Forces (FAR) paramilitary group. that they intended to use the public signal to “make a statement”.

Following the outbreak of the worst episode of violence in the African country since the 2021 coup, last weekend Sudan’s ruling Council, led by General of the Army Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, ordered the disbandment of the paramilitary group led by General Mohamed. Hamdane Daglo, the Rapid Support Forces (FAR), with whom he disputes authority and which he has declared a “rebellious” group. As the fighting continues for the third day in a row, the death toll approaches 100, according to France13.

Shooting, bombing and airstrikes rocked the capital Khartoum this Monday, April 17, after a series of fighting broke out between the two sides on Saturday, April 15, which has killed at least 97 civilians so far, including three employees of the United Nations. In addition, according to estimates released by the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors, 365 people were injured.

However, the number of dead and injured may be higher as emergency teams indicate they were unable to travel to various parts of the country due to the intensity of armed clashes between the FAR and the army, the two sides they have. struggles for power after the 2021 coup.

This Monday, some of the attacks took place outside the military barracks in the capital as plumes of smoke rose from the runway of Khartoum International Airport after several explosions, footage broadcast on local television showed.

In addition, the violence is spreading to other parts of the country, with hundreds of residents reporting power outages and incidents of looting. Fighting is also taking place in the western region of Darfur and in the northern and eastern parts of Sudan, near the borders with Egypt and Ethiopia.

Violence erupted after SAR members deployed to several Sudanese cities on 15 April without the consent of the army.

The move was perceived by the military establishment as a threat from a paramilitary group. Both exercise control in the country in the absence of a government.

General and army leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan leads the so-called Sovereign Council for the transfer of power in Sudan; while General Mohamed Hamdan is the vice-president of this body and leads the Rapid Support Force.

The two men claim they will not negotiate a truce, but launch attacks and demand the surrender of their opponent.

Source: Juventud Rebelde


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Read More