Zelensky promises a quick counteroffensive

Kyiv, May 30 — The Kyiv government has set a timetable for a counteroffensive against Russia, President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Monday. Ukrainian officials have been talking about the move for months, with Western media warning that a failure could result in Kyiv losing the support of its international backers, RT reported.

Speaking in a video posted on Telegram, Zelenskiy shared details of a military meeting in which several senior commanders held briefings.

According to the President, the meeting revolved around “not only … the supply of ammunition, not only the training of new brigades, not only tactics, but also … opportunities.” “This is the most important thing. The moment of how we are going to advance. We will do it. Decisions have been made,” he said, without specifying when and where the counteroffensive will begin.

In recent weeks, Ukrainian officials have issued conflicting statements about the highly publicized counter-offensive. Zelenskiy’s aide Mikhail Podolyak said last week that the pressure “has been going on for days.”

However, Kirill Budanov, head of Ukraine’s Main Intelligence Directorate, noted that the counter-offensive would begin soon, adding that Kyiv had gathered “the necessary minimum of weapons” needed for the attack.

For his part, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Galuzin warned that the long-planned push “will only lead to bloodshed and further escalation of the conflict,” while condemning the West’s “irresponsible” campaign to support Kiev with weapons.

In late March, General Mark Milley, who heads the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, was skeptical of Ukraine’s planned offensive, warning that it would be difficult for Kiev to “drive all Russians” from territories it considers its own.

His comments were followed last month by a New York Times report that Ukraine does not guarantee “big gains” and, if the results are disappointing, Ukraine’s Western supporters could pressure Kiev to start peace talks with Moscow.

However, on Thursday, May 25, US Assistant Secretary of State for Political Affairs Victoria Nuland told an audience in Kyiv that Washington has been helping plan Ukraine’s “counteroffensive” against Russia for almost half a year.

“Even while you are planning a counteroffensive, on which we have been working for about 4-5 months, we are already starting our negotiations with [el] The Ukrainian government and with friends in Kyiv, both civilian and military: about the long-term future of Ukraine,” Nuland said at the Kiev Security Forum via State Department video link.

He added that the attack “is likely to start and move at the same time” with events such as the NATO summit in Lithuania scheduled for July 11.

According to Nuland, the US also plans for Ukraine’s future military to contain Russia, so “wherever and however it ends, in a year, six years, 16 years, we won’t do it again.”

The US official also painted an optimistic picture of a future in which Ukraine will become “the engine of Europe’s renaissance” and “set a democratic example … for the whole world.”

The forum was organized by the Open Ukraine Foundation, established by former Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk, who moderated the panel on which Nuland spoke. Another discussion was sponsored by the Atlantic Council, whose representatives argued that “transatlantic unity and strong support can help Ukraine defeat Russia and restore European security.”

Source: Juventud Rebelde

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Read More

Recent